I'm pretty sure I could just squeel after showing you all this post, I am sooo digging what I spent my whole day doing. You see my mother in law bought me this perfect little breakfast table for our kitchen a few years ago for my birthday. A lovely table really....just a little...plain, shall we say. (Pretend that large streak of white isn't there, I'm
great terrible at remembering to take before pictures)
I started off knowing I wanted to paint it cream, since that's what I had sitting around, and I was determined I wasn't going to leave the house for any part of this project. Period.
After a few coats of paint she was looking mighty fine, but just missing...something. How about a little numbered accessory? Yes, I think that will do the trick.
I started by drafting out my numbers in paint.net (do you have this? You should, it's free.)
And then I traced them onto notebook paper, because it's all I could find.
Then, using the point of a retractable pencil, I traced over the lines leaving indentions in my dry, but still plyable, paint.
After I had my outline indented in the paint, I just filled it in with black acrylic paint and a fine tipped brush. It wasn't perfect, but I don't want my projects to feel over-burdened, I don't want them to feel like the have to be perfect. I'll still love them anyway.
After that she got a
little lot of distressing. Lookin' mighty good. But still missing...something. I have been noticing a lot of antiquing glaze being used on projects lately, but I didn't have any of that. And remember I wasn't leaving the house today. So...I made my own. Sorta.
This is a very technical process. I started with some leftover paint from Lincoln's room - CP Natural Bark - and added a splash of water (see, I told you - technical), but I needed to give it more of a glaze-y substance, so I dug out some Puzzle Glue from the cabinets. Mixed a little of that in there, stirred it together, and voila! Glaze. Sorta.
Most glazes you paint on and then rub off with a towel, but I used a different and much more technical process - I wiped it on with my finger. And wiped off any excess with...my other finger. I just ran it along the edges, especially where I had distressed, it added...something. I'm not sure exactly what that something is, but I like it. So the end product looks something like this -
And I adore it. Squeel!
I am linking up to Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday
Funk Junk's Saturday Nite Special
And Twice Remembered's Make Your Monday