Monday, February 8, 2010

Kitchen Ideas

We moved into our house a few years ago and were lucky enough to find one with a newly updated kitchen - new appliances, new sink, new tile flooring, new countertops, and new cabinets. I often times think of how lucky we are to have such a nice kitchen, as we live in a older part of town and most kitchens are terrbily dated. The previous owners also chose a very 'country' feel, which matches my general decorating style. With all that being said....I want to change it. I know! I should be glad and happy and feel lucky for what we have- and I do.



The kitchen that we inherited with our house has white appliances, a classy off-white tiled floor, light green countertops (I know what you're thinking...but they honestly aren't that bad). The kitchen has a lot of natural light from a large window over the sink, and it's open to the dining room, which floods with even more natural light. It's small, but doesn't feel closed in. The bank of cabinets which extend over the penninsula have glass doors on either side, which especially help to allow light in and not take away visual space.

I see all these beautifully painted kitchens, and my honey-oak-builders-grade cabinets start looking a little drab to me. I've been slowly collecting some inspiration photos, and slowly writing out my pro-painting-the-cabinets speech to give Mr. Z. :)

This first set of photos comes from Layla and Kevin's beautiful kitchen in their Lettered Cottage.


I love how the black and brown play off each other so effortlessly, and I love the slight distressing on the edges.


I'm not sure of the source of this photo, but I love the pop of red from the rug (because we all know how I love red!).


Not sure of the source of this one either, but I love the butcher block countertop on the island. If/when we replace our countertops, I'm going with a butcher block countertop, ikea even sells these...for cheap!


A little less "magazine-y" and a little more realy life-like. Love how it looks next to the white appliances, and our kitchen it much brighter than this one.


But...until we decide on whether on not this is our "forever home", I'll be making mental notes and collecting ideas. What do you think...are black cabinets too daring?


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE black cabinets. I think they're BEAUTIFUL! Mine are white and while they're pretty while they're clean, they don't stay clean long. Black would be great if you're one of those crazy people who doesn't mind painting (I hate to paint). If you didn't want to paint all of them, I have seen lots with two different color cabinets or I just got a black armoire for extra storage in my dining area (it's joined with my kitchen). Can't wait to see what you decide!

    ReplyDelete